Aims of the Department:
- To inspire pupils’ curiosity and imagination through the teaching of history.
- To use the choices, experiences and beliefs of people in the past to inspire pupils today.
- To help pupils develop their own identities through an understanding of history at personal, local, national and international levels.
- To enable pupils to ask and answer questions about the present by engaging with the past.
- To enable pupils to find out about the history of their community, Britain, Europe and the world.
- To help pupils to develop skills of enquiry; of understanding chronology; of understanding why things happen and how things have changed
Topics/Areas of Study
Key Stage 3
- Turning Points
- Total War
- Civil Rights
- Global Conflict
- Medicine through Time
GCSE History – Years 10 and 11 – Key Stage 4
- Medicine in Britain, c1250-present
- The British sector of the Western Front, 1914-1918: injuries, treatment and the trenches
- Early Elizabethan England, 1558-88
- The American West, c1835-1895
- Weimar and Nazi Germany, 1918-1939