Computing

The computing curriculum includes computer science, information technology and digital literacy.

A high-quality computing education equips pupils to use computational thinking and creativity to understand and change the world. Computing has deep links with mathematics, science and design and technology, therefore it uses a broad range of skills and challenges the pupils to become digitally literate at a level suitable for the future workplace and as active participants in a digital world.

The national curriculum for computing aims that all pupils:

  • can understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms and data representation.
  • can analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated practical experience of writing programs in order to solve such problems.
  • can evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies, analytically to solve problems.
  • are responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology.

Key Stage 3

Pupils in years 7 and 8 study computing as part of the technology carousel.  Three units are covered each year.

Year 7

Working with images – Pupils learn about vector graphics and how to create them using Adobe Illustrator.
Coding – Pupils use Scratch software which is a visual programming language.
Web design – Pupils learn how to create a website using Adobe Dreamweaver.

Year 8

Working with images – pupils learn how to use Adobe Photoshop for the digital manipulation of bitmap images.
Coding – pupils create a maze style game using Game Maker software.
Communication in computing – pupils learn about computer systems, binary, ASCII and logic gates.


Key Stage 4

Year 9

There are two option choices for KS4:
BTEC business
In this option choice pupils complete a BTEC qualification equivalent to a GCSE.  The BTEC course is 75% coursework with an online exam for the remaining 25%.

GCSE Computing

In this option choice pupils complete three different units. Two are examined, worth 40% each. One is a controlled assessment, worth 20%. The course includes elements of coding, algorithmic thinking and the theory of computer systems.

Year 10 and Year 11

There are three option choices for the current year 10 and 11:

BTEC business
This course is equivalent to a GCSE.  The course is 75% coursework with an online exam for the remaining 25%.

GCSE Computing Year 10
In this option choice pupils complete three different units. Two are examined, worth 40% each whilst the third is a controlled assessment, worth 20%. The course includes elements of coding, algorithmic thinking and the theory of computer systems.

GCSE Computing Year 11
In this option choice pupils complete three different units. Two are controlled assessment, worth 30% each whilst the third is examined, worth 40%. The course includes elements of coding, algorithmic thinking and the theory of computer systems.